Friday, February 28, 2014

Investigating literature...

So I have been away for a while and had to pause my module 2 work but I am now back  and starting to pick up where I left off and get back into the swing of things again. I have spent all afternoon looking over what I wrote a few months ago and analysing the questions I came up with earlier. Alan gave me great feed back and made me see I am focusing on too many things with too broad a spectrum of ideas. I should take one and focus solely on that in more detail. I have now narrowed that down to 2 ideas for my line of inquiry...

1. Eating disorders within the dance community

2. Becoming audition ready as a dancer

Looking at option 2 I have found a few interesting articles of literature on the Internet regarding other dancers and examiners views and opinions on becoming audition ready for a dance audition. I found this hugely interesting to read other peoples views on how to prepare as I noticed where I do many things personally similar to what they say they also opened my eyes to a lot of different methods I did not think of.... E.g meditation and confidence building exercises the night before to get you mentally prepared. I found this fascinating And an idea which I will try myself as I have always focused on being physically ready and not so much mentally. I truly believe in the power if positive thinking so I would like to look into this further.

Another point which is highlighted in all three articles is the importance of nutrition and a healthy diet leading up to audition. In the article "7 tips to success in audition" I found it very interesting as she talks about testing before class which foods give you the most energy to sustain through the audition but do not make you feel heavy. I think this is a great idea and it is not something I thought
about when getting "audition ready" but lack of energy and feeling heavy and bloated is something I
know I personally and other dancer have suffered from during an audition, which can hinder your
performance and in turn hinder your success on the day.

Here are the links to the three pieces of literature I found helpful:

http://www.examiner.com/article/dance-audition-tips

http://www.dancedream3.com/perform-now/dance-audition-tips.php

http://dancingopportunities.com/index.php/7-tips-to-success-in-audition/

Another great piece of literature I found was from the site "dance magazine" http://www.dancemagazine.com/issues/February-2009/Auditions-Guide

If you read further down it gives feedback from the casting directors who hold dance auditions. They are giving there advice on what they see as a successful audition and how to become ready for the big day and a lot of their advice coincides with advice given from the other articles. Be confident, be appropriately dressed, stand out, be polite and make a good impression.

Another part of this articles found hugely interesting is titled "resume 2.0" bringing me right back to module 1 and the importance and us of Web 2.0. It explains that yes a dancers body is her instrument and tool to success but we can also use the web in many ways to promote ourselves and to help become audition ready - "while nothing replaces raw ability - and a knack for nailing an audition - a smart dancer knows how to market that ability." This quote really got me thinking and has opened up ideas to me about using Web 2.0 as part of becoming "audition ready as a dancer" and I would like to explore this more in my investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment